Adam Sacasa is a photojournalist with the Texarkana Gazette newspaper in Texarkana, Texas.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Just need ideas

Second home game of the season of football. Wish the game was in Texas but whatever. As for the podcast, I've been trying to get some ideas on what exactly it's going to be about. We definitely need an outline and a set day to record with a few extras here and there.

Been checking a whole bunch of different sites. Started out with what's going on on Campus. Campus briefs like what's going on for the week. It'll be quick becasue unless something is ridiculous, it'll probably get old and boring quick.

Weather is something I want. Something more than just weather though. Somehow relate it to peoples actual schedules (wake up, heading to class, comming home, out at night. The average temp just doesn't do me any good if the temp drops 20 degrees at night and I'm freezing my arse off walking home after production night in the office.

It'll just be the next day or 2 becasue I never remember much past then. Maybe weekend.

Speaking of weather. It was the middle of August and I was back in Macomb FREEZING. I really hated that first week in the dorms. I'm not a big fan of the cold and hate winter (love summer) and it was such a huge change becasue I go from the heat of summer in Kansas for the internship to my parent's house back in Chicago. My mom isn't running the AC and we've just got fans going around the house to stay cool so going from that to the dorms was soemthing I wasn't used to. The part that was so frustrating was I couldn't control how much the AC was on in my room. I'd leave the window open just to try to stay warm and let some heat in. I even covered the top of the AC with duct tape and put a towel below but it really didn't do much.

As much as I hate it, I wonder how much money Western wastes on blasting the AC. I'm going to have to check on that. I know other dorms have some controls but mine, none. I'm sure I just sound like I'm complaining but students end up footing the bill when energy prices are skyrocketing and the University does little to change. What I want to find out is the cost of comfort.

I can understand partly why the university doesn't completely change things becasue I'm sure somebody's gonna go apesh*t when the temp goes up a few degrees becasue they can't handle it. If the university got solid facts, some thing concrete that students could see and then used those numbers to show how much money could be saved and what that money could be used for, who knows? Doubt anything is going to change but when I'm wearing a sweatshirt and hat in the middle of the summer, maybe it's just a little wasteful.

I remember last year, the theme was global responsiblity. I saw a few things the university did to try and be more green. Now, I don't mind being cool and people can suck it up and deal with it but when I'm needing to remember to bring a sweatshirt with me to the library when it's 80+ degrees outside, maybe it's just a little bit much.

Speaking of stats, I'll try to get some of those.

Wow that was long.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Macomb, Illinois, United States
writer/photojournalist. Mostly the later.