Adam Sacasa is a photojournalist with the Texarkana Gazette newspaper in Texarkana, Texas.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

2 quick ones

Just had 2 assignments today. One was a portrait of a woman who's retiring. It was just the standard off camera lit portraits in the office. I tried to add some motion blur but got a cool effect. Ended up looking a little ghostly but maybe its a metaphor? Eh, whatever.

Next was my favorite. A building shot. Just basic stuff but I seriously need to step it up and light these suckers. Just gotta pack strobes, lightstand and shoot around dusk.

Quick night in the office. Got 2 of the videos from the weekend football game in Arkansas on the Facebook group.

I made up a quick list of rules for our new photographers to follow. I'll probably try to email it or print out some copies of it. They have no photojournalism experience so I'll try to start really basic. My goal is to get them all better than me. I want the best photo's in the state in a school with no photo-j. It's my job to teach and motivate so hopefully I can and through teaching, and I'll learn myself.

This weekend, might be heading to Bradley University with mens soccer or maybe it was womens? Not sure. I think theres another sport on Friday and maybe a photo assignment? Things are starting to get busy and we at the Courier need to keep up and then some. We need major changes and need to make the paper more exciting. News is changing. Other mediums are comming up and newspapers need to adapt. Can't have long boring articles about things no one cares about but we still need hard news. Last thing I want to see is this newspaper turn into a Chicago Sun Times or a New York Post.

I don't know. We need changes, more multimedia. I was talking to Martyn about starting up podcasts again. He's got an english accent and I'm sure we American's would be ammused rather than just me talking about whatever. We need a show with direction though. Should be fun. Maybe a week in news.

We also need some campus newsbriefs section. Right now we have this What's happening now section. A map with stars and some AP stories. Every single week. It's insanely boring. Just need something better. Important but better. New design, yada yada. Speaking of which, need some front page design. To be honest, I hate the font on the cover, no offense to whoever picked it. Just seems outdated and ugly. I got goals and hopes but I can't do much without a good nights sleep so adios.

Oh yeah, have students vote for a new front page design. Got a lot of ideas up this head of mine. Some good some bad. Either way, better than no ideas.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Macomb, Illinois, United States
writer/photojournalist. Mostly the later.