Adam Sacasa is a photojournalist with the Texarkana Gazette newspaper in Texarkana, Texas.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Fall Sports Preview shoots


herb_1856, originally uploaded by blazinhispazian.

Finished up the fall sports preview portraits. I wanted to use some motion but I guess I'm kind of glad I didn't. Herb's shoot went well. Martyn and I had a ton more time to set up unlike the other two.

First one we had was a volleyball shoot around 12:30, Monique Houston.

Had 2 strobes set up, 1 dies. Frig. I ended up just using the 1 with the snoot, 8 inches I think. In retrospect, kind of wish I just shot it wider. Beam was really tight and can't really see enough of her.

Fall Sports_MG_1734

Wait a sec. I had a soccer one right before that at 12:25pm. They ended up kind of overlaping and we (Martyn and I) had to work quick because both girls had practice right after.

Well on to the soccer shoot, Ashley Hoch. Wanted to get close to a stationary ball and have her kick it with the strobes. Problem is that second strobe died right before this since Martyn and I were testing the lighting.

Used the snoot again and got a spotlight just to the left of her and had her juggle the ball. Umm, ignore the quality. I got to learn the downsize in CS3.

Fall Sports_MG_1734

Turned out okay but could've been better.

Right after that, we had the volleyball shoot where I was standing on one of the boxes shooting jump height. The net was making a big black stripe on her. Should've used the higher light stand but yeah, gotta learn to work quick. I know now I guess.

And finally Herb Donaldson, running back for football. We ended up using this one.

herb_1774

We had a few hours before this shoot so I had time to charge the batteries and think up some ideas. We were thinking something in the locker room since the only time we had with him was around 5pm, too bright outside. Before that, tried the weight room, didn't work out so well. Just him sitting on a bench. Nope.

Went over to the locker room, used Martyn as my light stand. First shots weren't firing. Ends up his had was covering the sensor. ( I was optical slaving it) The shot up top was because of that. (no purple) Oh yeah, forgot to mention I was using Rosco gels. Anyways, I liked it.

herb_1862

I tried him jumping Heisman but didn't really turn out either. Kind of funny though. He was a good sport.

We were done with the shoot in about half an hour. Then just headed back to the office for the insanity of the first production night of the year. Looking forward to it.

adios...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Macomb, Illinois, United States
writer/photojournalist. Mostly the later.