Adam Sacasa is a photojournalist with the Texarkana Gazette newspaper in Texarkana, Texas.

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

cap


cap, originally uploaded by blazinhispazian.

I got home at around 5:30 to find the 2 boxes sitting on the bench inside. It's like christmas all over again. Went up to my room, opened the boxes and there it was. The most expensive camera I had ever owned. As much as I wanted to play around with it, I knew I had to charge that battery up first. The 50mm lens didn't look as flimsy as I thought it would so that was a relief. Since I couldn't really do anything with it, just went to dinner with the parents (it was actually my dad's birthday dinner) and just read the manual.

Since then, just been taking pictures of random things out and around the house with the 50mm. With the 1.8 apeture, the depth of field is really shallow. Can't wait to see how it does shooting sports or news. Hopefully don't expect too much and get dissapointed but either way, just about any picture is going to be better than my Panasonic Lumix FZ-20. It's so nice to have my own DSLR for once.

So far, I've bought a few things:

50mm f/1.8- $100
Circular Polarizer- $31
Neutral Density Filter- $9.99
UV filter- $9.99
Step up ring- $4.99
Extra lens cap- $5.99

I think thats it. Comes to a total of about $162 in addition to the $765 on the camera for a total of $927 if my math is right. Yeesh. Things I still need would be:

100-300mm f/4.5-5.6- $210
Canon BP511A 1390mAh Lithium Ion Battery- $40.00


After that, I think I should be set with my kit. I've got a $50 gift certificate for Amazon.com so that'll probably go for my camera sling bag. It's nice because you can just swing the bag from your back to the front, unzip and start shooting.

Lowepro Slingshot 200 All Weather Backpack - $86.18

So pretty much what all that means is that i'll be living like I'm broke. I mean I do have money right now but Thats going towards rent, bills, books, and food.

If Ramen didn't exist, I don't know how I'd make it through college.



And a few more things I'll be saving up for (maybe for next semester or year)

Canon 430EX Speedlite Flash- $223
Sto-Fen OMEW Omni-Bounce Diffuser- $13.35
Canon BGE2 Battery Grip - $148.85
Camera Armor for Canon 20D- $44.95

2 comments:

Josh D. Weiss said...

Do yourself a favor and save up for the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 without IS. Its around $1,000 but if you view it as an investment its not so bad. The lenses you buy will outlast your camera body assuming you decide to stick with the same system for longer than the lifespan of the camera itself.

Adam Sacasa said...

Thanks for the tip josh. I was checking out that lens and the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 for about $700 on Ebay. Right now, I got about $50 a month for food and just need a basic (but not too basic) telephoto. I probably won't be able to afford that until school starts or a little later.

About Me

My photo
Macomb, Illinois, United States
writer/photojournalist. Mostly the later.