Adam Sacasa is a photojournalist with the Texarkana Gazette newspaper in Texarkana, Texas.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Masters Degree?

I don't think I was every really thinking about getting a masters degree. On the Society of Professional Journalists trip to the Quad Cities, we were told not to get one. It makes sense because with newsrooms cutting staff and looking to cut costs so if they needed to pay someone with a masters or someone with a 4 year college degree, they'd just go cheap.

I need new ways to market myself as a journalist. A one for all type of thing but wait! That's not all! I did spend 2 years in exercise science so if a newsroom needs a personal trainer, they know where to go. Not only will it help the staff get in shape but also, cut down on health care costs. As ridiculous as it sounds, I'll still say it. Plus it would just give me an excuse to put all that otherwise useless schooling to work.

Seriously. Journalists need to find way to market themselves and be self promoters. Can't wait for someone else to do it.

In real news, the trial I've been waiting for for a few weeks was canceled. I'm still looking for info on the 2 football players that got arrested. Trial should be sometime this week. I'll ask again tomorrow.

Homecoming this weekend. Being the only one with a telephoto is rough. Got a lot of assignments to cover. Did do a voiceover with Ken, the sports editor. Might do my own next time. Ken needs a little more enthusiasm next time.



City Council was today at 7pm. Got video of the whole thing so I got to cut it down and do some voice overs.

Tomorrow, got a quick session with the guys from SGA for a video segment. Oh yeah, police briefing at 8:45am so I better get to bed.

Adios.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Macomb, Illinois, United States
writer/photojournalist. Mostly the later.