Adam Sacasa is a photojournalist with the Texarkana Gazette newspaper in Texarkana, Texas.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

transmitting from the field

Finally got a netbook (Acer Aspire One D255E) and I've been spending most of my time trying to get it set up for mobile journalism. Already have photo mechanic and a raw photo editor on it. Thinking about getting an HD webcam (~$40) and using UStream but need to save up some money.

As for transmitting pics, here's my process:

1. Edit photos in Raw Shooter Essentials
2. set quality to high
3. transfer photos to my phone (Sanyo Incognito) via bluetooth (takes about 1:30)
4. from my phone, send that photo via email (takes about 5 minutes for a 3MB file, 7:40 for a 6MB file)
a. here's the steps:
-Go to Tools and turn on bluetooth in my phone
-On my computer, click on the bluetooth icon and go to Show Devices
-Click Send files to your phone
-Once files transfer to the phone, send via email




Now the only question is, when can I use this?

A few weeks ago, I was at a track meet and there was a 2 hour break between prelims and finals. That would have been a great time to send some pics. With photo mechanic, copy desk can get my cutlines too.

Speaking of which, I need to find an e-mail for them so I can send it directly when I'm filing from out of town and no photogs are in the office.

Another note, I wonder how small of a file they can work with because there's no reason to send a 17x10 file if 10x7 is as big as they'd need. Also need to figure out what the minimum dpi needed is. After I get all that info, I'll just make a text document and leave the guide on the desktop.

I'm pretty excited about getting to use this. Even though it'll take about 20 minutes to send a photo and a secondary, it's still a lot better than driving an hour back to the office and rushing to meet deadline. This should mean I can stay out at my assignments longer too. Might even be able to stay till the end of basketball games now.

On top of this, my job also has a number I can call to clock in and out if I needed to. Lots of possibilities. I'll try uploading a pic here just to see what happens.

After I wrote this, I realized I might need another option besides Raw Shooter since I can't crop in it.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Macomb, Illinois, United States
writer/photojournalist. Mostly the later.